Background

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Riverfront Park

On Monday, we went to Riverfront park. We only had time to feed the ducks before Patty & Britt had to go to the airport.

Did you know that ducks and geese communicate with each other? I guess I've always know this, but I'd never personally seen it. In the area we were feeding the geese and ducks, there were probably 30-40 of them. We even had two sets of little ducklings (so cute!). Some of the geese would take the bread right out of our hands, while others would "goose" each other to try and make them move so they could get first dibs on the bread. If you have ever fed geese at parks/zoos, you know how competitive they can be to get the food.

Anyway, while we were feeding them, all of the sudden about 5 -10 geese took off. They just turned around and swam full speed away from our area. They then took off from the water and flew to the opposite side of the river. All of the geese/ducks that remained stayed in their exact spots. They stopped moving. When I say stopped moving, I mean STOPPED moving. They froze. Some even had pieces of bread in their beaks, but they remained completely still. They remained frozen until a loud goose sound rang out from the opposite shore, and all of them (the geese and ducks) took off full speed. Some swam to the other shore, some flew away, but they all left. We were left standing there with no more birds to feed, wondering what on earth just happened. Anyway...kind of interesting, and funny at the same time. If you're not interested, maybe it's not really that interesting of a story. Maybe you just had to be there. :)

After feeding the ducks, we took Britt & Patty to the airport and then we returned to the park. Brenton played in the water while Alex enjoyed feeding the little birds. They LOVED the pieces of bread we had brought for the ducks. It did take a while to convince Alex that the little tiny birds needed smaller pieces of bread than the ducks/geese need.






From what we understand, this goat is actually a garbage can. You're supposed to put garbage by it's mouth and it will suck it up. I guess it was broken, but Brenton didn't seem to mind. He enjoyed climbing on it and "riding" the goat.

2 comments:

Britt said...

I told you there was a garbage eating goat!! and those birds were crazy! I've never seen anything like that

Katrina said...

That is a very interesting story I have never even considered that ducks and geese could communicate. That was a really cool park!