Background

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Denver Tri

I flew to Denver last weekend to do a Sprint Triathlon with Kelly. With all the foot/leg problems, I almost backed out, but in the end, I did participate, and I actually finished. My initial goal was to finish the race. After I realized I was going to do that, my goal changed to "finish in under three hours". I actually was able to finish in 2:17.26. I was thrilled.
Kelly and Mark (Kelly's boyfriend) also competed. They did awesome! It ended up being a very nice weekend, even though I had to do an amazing long workout that lasted over two hours. :)
Above: Kelly's friend Judy (who also competed) brought this balloon that her husband gave her. It was nice to have. We could easily find our transition area.
Above: The transition area just before start time.
Above: Kelly & Mark
Above: Mark Ready to go
Below: Kelly trying on her new open water goggles
Above: Kelly and I pre-race

Below: My on the bike leg
Below: Me crossing the finish line. Yes...I was in as much pain as I look...
After the tri, we went home and crashed for a few hours. That night we had a nice birthday dinner with Kelly's family (They were celebrating her Dad & Brother's birthdays). After dinner, we went to the ice-rink where Mark had a hockey game that night. Amazingly, he played that night. I was super impressed. I certainly wasn't up to doing anything physical for the next few days.

Mark is #15



For the race, they write your age on the back of your leg in permanent marker. Not sure why they do this...maybe to help you realize what a wuss you are when you get passed by someone 20 years older than you...at least that's why I use it for. Anyway, I noticed that permanent marker is a great sunscreen. After washing off the marker, this is what I was left with (below). This is the back of my left calf. It's still there. I wonder how long my 32 will last.....

2 comments:

Tami said...

Good for you! I'm assuming this was open water??? You should come to Logan next summer and we'll a tri with a pool swim.

Katrina said...

Great job finishing the tri! I loved the story about the marker that is hilarious!!